Up to £24,000 commensurate on experience
Full time / Permanent
Our client in Wakefield is looking to add a ward veterinary nurse to their expanding team. This is a full-time position working to a rota. Specific hours are discussed at interview, but are flexible for the right person.
This opportunity would suit an RVN who enjoys all aspects of ICU nursing, including triaging patients, managing emergencies and providing intensive care to canine and feline patients. Our client is looking for an individual who can demonstrate excellent time management and organisational skills.
The role involves all aspects of Nursing including:
- Nursing in house patients - critical and intensive
- Administering medications
- Carrying out necessary treatments such as drain management, feeding tubes and physiotherapy
- Infection control
- Type: Full time
- Hours: Discussed at interview
- Team: Three RVNs and four PCAs
- Consultations: 15 Minutes
This large modern referral practice in Wakefield offers a diverse range of advanced treatments and provides outstanding clinical care across many disciplines. The large team work closely together to ensure the clients and patients' needs are always met. They have a large range of equipment which allows them to perform cardiology, dermatology, diagnostic imaging, internal medicine, neurology, oncology, ophthalmology, orthopaedics, and soft tissue surgery.
- Previous experience of nursing in a referral practice is advantageous but not essential
- You will have good all-round general nursing experience
- You will be motivated with a genuine passion for animal welfare
- You will consistently deliver a high standard of clinical care
- You will have excellent communication and customer interfacing skills
- You will be happy working shift patterns between operating or kennels
- To ensure gold standard nursing care is provided 100% of the time to 100% of our patients
- To maintain accurate client and patient records
- To assist and manage the smooth and efficient running of wards
- To be efficient, pleasant, courteous, polite, concerned and helpful to all clients, under all conditions, at all times
- To treat all practice personnel with the same respect and consideration as clients in order to assist the nursing team in creating a harmonious culture in line with our values and vision
- To ensure all patients are correctly priced during their period of hospitalisation.
- To promote our services, personnel and products, both within and outside the practice at all times
- To support marketing initiatives
- To demonstrate a commitment to continued professional development.
- To understand and implement practice policies as supplied and updated and as advised by Team Leaders, Clinical & Non-Clinical Nursing leads.
- To take an active role in the training of veterinary nurses, trainee veterinary nurses and veterinary care assistants.
- Ensure in-depth knowledge of medical and surgical conditions to allow appropriate nursing care, physiotherapy, pain management, drain management etc
- Organise, assist and ensure infection control measures, hygiene standards and cleanliness of the hospital are adhered to
- Create a Personal Development Plan with key focus being related to your role, keeping up to date with PSS and ISFM regulations/requirements
- Demonstrate team work and collaborative leadership by assisting with everyday tasks
- Adhere to all GDPR and social media policies
- Create hospital plans alongside the clinicians for in-patient care to include: pre-op care/medication, monitoring/recovery period, post-op care/medication/ physiotherapy etc.
- Attend CPR training at regular intervals
- Stock control/rotation. Stock levels in all area's to be constantly replenished from stock room to ensure efficient ordering - do not over stock.
- Ensure you keep up to date with all the manuals and SOP's, reading and acknowledging when updated.
- Perform clear, effective handovers to assist with the smooth running of wards
- Take responsibility for maintaining competence in all areas of nursing
- When case-load allows, all staff to be involved in deep cleaning and maintenance
- Common sense approach to task prioritisation, as well as necessary cover during low staffing periods
- Obtaining samples for laboratory testing, both in-house and externally, ensuring correct form completion and packaging. Performing in-house diagnostic tests as necessary
- Dispensing medication as instructed by the veterinary surgeon
- Reporting on progress of in-patients to clients by telephone as needed during client update hours
- Assisting with practice marketing initiatives e.g. Open Evenings, Open Days etc.
- To carry out and be accountable for any specific tasks or responsibilities allocated by the Team Leaders, Clinical & Non-Clinical Nursing Leads and Operations Manager.
- Ensure consistent completion of online competency training.
- Be fully aware of all Health & Safety issues and read all information supplied; correct use of anaesthetic machines and scavenger units; regular cleaning, maintenance & servicing of equipment etc. Familiarise yourself with all available H & S, HR, GDPR information and speak to the Team Leader, Clinical & Non-Clinical Nursing Leads if you have any queries or concerns
- Participate in a thorough team brief each morning with ward staff to discuss new cases to be admitted, any concerns/questions and goals for the day to be highlighted
- Attend and participate nurse meetings, morning huddles and any other meeting required by the role
- Follow Employee General Guidelines
- 21,000 - 26,000 pro rata
- Generous CPD allowance - days off to attend
- 5 weeks Holidays Pro Rata plus Birthday off
- Flexible rota allowing for a great work / life balance
- Paid professional memberships
- VDS and RCVS Paid
- Staff discount scheme
- Workplace pension scheme
- RCVS registered and qualified
- Possess the right to work in the United Kingdom
- Excellent customer service and communication skills
- 12 months' post graduate experience
What happens next?
If you would like to be considered for this role, please apply with your latest CV. Alternatively, contact us to find out more details or to have a confidential discussion about this or other opportunities.
T: 0333 014 7374
Office hours are 8.30am - 7.00pm or email us outside of these hours and we will respond ASAP.
Vet Seekers act as an employment business and an employment agency for the supply of Locum and permanent staff for the veterinary industry throughout the UK and overseas.